About Me

My Photo
Funmi Iyanda
Lagos, Nigeria
Funmi Iyanda is a multi award-winning producer and broadcast journalist. She is the CEO of Ignite Media and Executive Director of Creation Television
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 24, 2007

Story from the city of god

I dialled the number, I knew what awaited me at the other end but perhaps I was hoping for a miracle or I was just.., I dialled and l encountered it. A dense unbroken silence for what seemed like an eternity I let the silence envelop and force my mind into acceptance. The strangeness of the simultaneous finality and vibrancy in that silence seared the truth in my heart. Goke was gone. Our last encounter had been fierce. He was trying to get me to place some money in his bank even as I sat on the floor after a shoot, sweat breaking through my heavy makeup and reacting against my studio lights dehydrated skin like werepe (itching powder). The crew, guests, I and the people who need help who come and wait for me at the station were all tangled up in a tired knot of humanity. He was an old friend from university and had waited 4 hours whilst we shoot the show in a fancy car and a sharp business suit trying to get a huge deposit off me. "Look Goke I snapped, do l look like the sort of person who puts money away and waits on the interest? I am trying to build something here man and every dime goes into it, why are you people still looking for deposits after the consolidation, shouldn't you be working with us to build capacity and strengthen our enterprise? I'd expect you of all people (he had been a student editor, a poet and a journalist) to know how hard it is for the creative to also sell, distribute and publicize his work."

Yes I know Funmi he had sighed but it will take a while for things to change and l wonder myself if this is what I should be doing, did I sell out? Should I have stuck with the media and movies instead of going into the bank? Why did you, I asked? You know, stability, money, its not easy for us guys you know. I know my brother I said but it is not easy for anyone. However I don't think you should leave, surely it is the universe that has lead you into banking. As you become more successful, just hold on to your core values and understanding of our art and industry so you can help build a vibrant industry. The industry needs bankers, lawyers, marketers, promoters accountants and all who get it. You get it man so you should stay. Now don't ask me about deposits, get your people to agree to a ballpark sponsorship deal on this show or any other I have in my portfolio or just structure financing for our projects. Yeah we can do that Funmi he retorted as he hugged and agree to stay in touch. He died this weekend, struck by a hit and run driver whilst standing near his office in Victoria Island, the second such incidence in two weeks. The late accomplished sports administrator Pat Okpomu" two young adult children were similarly killed a week before. You see, vehicles can come at you at high speed from any angle in the city of God, nobody was arrested.

11 comments:

LADYBRILLE.com said...

Very, very unfortunate and a great loss considering his philosophy as described by you . . . Hopefully his legacy and what he stood for lives through his family and friends.

My Thots said...

Na wa oooo. so sorry about your friend.

If I had remained in Lagos, it's possible i could be mad by now......

Anonymous said...

sad!sad!GOD will judge!

Anonymous said...

Funmi Iyanda, I am sorry about your loss. We must accept it. So sorry to hear this...!

Iyaeto said...

I pass my condolence o. Pele.A o ni ri iru e mo o.

Anonymous said...

Very sad and unfortunate. Sorry about ur loss and i pray that God comforts the family he left behind.

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to a neighbor, a single mum of 3 kids. she was hit by a bus at v/i. but as u said this is god's city and nothing has been done.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

May his sould rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Goke sounds like he was a sweet guy. This is nothing less than tragic.
@ my thots - I don't know where you live, but if its anywhere like UK, you'll agree fatal car accidents due to drink/ drug driving are pretty common over there. We have our madness, they have theirs. The difference is that at least the murderers get caught over there, but it sure doesn't bring the victims back.

Ms. Catwalq said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sherri said...

pele o
my condolences to u and his family.