About Me

My Photo
Funmi Iyanda
Lagos, Nigeria
Funmi Iyanda is a multi award-winning producer and broadcast journalist. She is the CEO of Ignite Media and Executive Director of Creation Television
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

NA YAM? (title is test of your street cred)


Battling a flu and crazy deadlines so let's have fun. As l and my
fellow "FUNBOBS" (tell you about them one day) fervently believe, always stick a cheeky tongue out at bad times and tides not only will they pass, you would have pissed off the gods of ill luck so royally that the gods of fortune have no choice but to chuckle at you in approval. If it happens that you pass before they pass, oh well you would have had a bloody good time.

I always get the how do you put is all together, you must spend a
fortune and humongous amount of time and thought on it question. The answer is hell no!

I've got a perfect example for you. Came back from America with ruined skin, ratty hair, latent flu and heavy workload which l promptly threw myself into, no rest for the wicked o. By last Friday l was beat but there is no way l can avoid going to Dele Momodu's mother's burial for the simple reason that l saw the lady in her last months and in her fragility, l saw strength, l wanted to honour her. Also l had been unable to attend any of Mr. Bobdee's milestone events in the last 4 years.

Trouble is, how was l going to go from frump to fab overnight, l have no time or inclination to do nails, hair, skin wax, polish and professional makeup plus my aso ebi is unmade.

I called a friend to make anything she likes out of the Ankara which (God bless her) she did in four hours. This is what l then proceeded to do.

I had not been able to fit the dress so it hangs loose and unflattering.




It needs a little drama so l pull out a full lace wrap skirt and tied it on low hanging (for proportion) beneath the dress


and cinch my waist with a huge black belt to disguise the poor fit and hold the look.




Next l wear 5-inch ankle tie platforms to distract attention from my claw like, chapped toes and bruised heels.

























With my hair, l simply cut two yards out of the Ankara and wrapped it high and up (emphasizes the neck and cheekbones).

I never wear make up unless working or going out but I’m not crazy enough to drag my friends Bayo, Nenim or Kazy out of bed at 6am to put make me up. So l put a bit of liquid concealer on the acne scars, ignore the fresh zits and brush on some of my friend Bose (wrong shade)'s loose powder. I had lost mine and not noticed; l would have gone bare if she didn't have hers. I can’t do eyes or brows and l have sleep deprived dark circles so l plunk on my cheap (drug store bought) huge dark shades to hide all.

I put on my trusted reddish lip-gloss, oodles of self-acceptance and a happy smile and l am ready to go with my usual motley crew Jide, Remi, Ade and Ijy.


So when you see the pictures of me at Bodbee's mother's burial in Gbongan, know that l am winking at you, its never about money, its about knowledge, self assurance and a great attitude. Trust me l can pull off a N500,000 dress and million dollar accessories but l would never spend that kind of money on such in a country like ours, l cannot justify it to myself. Even in Hollywood most of it is given free as part of the wheel of commerce. Some of the most stylish people at that party as l have found with many parties are not the most expensively dressed.




I just loved this young man's pizzaz.



















As for me, this is my sum total for that party. Dress N2, 000, skirt £80 on sale, sunglasses £20, shoes £65 on sale, jewelry price on application;-), belt £60. Confidence based on self-acceptance and knowledge? Priceless.

42 comments:

Jumi said...

Omo, owa o! You know now, anytime, anyday, you dey shine! Up Funmi! You go, girl! No haters on this post please! Cute to cuddle! By the way, I saw Hairspray with my chicks yesterday. We loved it. Will attempt a review on my blog, as soon as I can steal a minute from all these acada. No ask who send me to go read with grey hair o! Na me send myself. Sorry to hear Bob Dee lost his mom. May her soul rest in peace. Please extend my heartfelt condolences to Bob Dee and Sister Bola. Now I dey run go my "pad" go continue my assignments. Now you make me remember that song: "Olowo nyo bi ojo, kampala t'era se e ti ran." I'm grinning from ear to ear. Love you tons. Have a blast!

Ms. Catwalq said...

abeg, give urself a round of applause. when i saw the initial presentation of the outfit, fear catch me, I called on my ancestors pe why o.
They told me not to worry and read on. I have learnt something. Where is that useless skirt that my Grandmother's foster child made for me as part of her training?....

Anonymous said...

Funmi Iyanda, you always look fabulous, in anything from ankara to whatever-it-is-you-choose-to-wear! Keep shining ojare! Keep enjoying yourseffff! I like the sunglasses very very much!!!

Unknown said...

Nice one. enjoyed your blog. You are indeed right. A person wears the clothes, whether expensive or cheap. It is how u carry yourself and accessorize that takes you to the next level.

Ms. May said...

I BOW!

Sam Oracle said...

As they say, The end is what matters and not the beginning.
I thought you were wearing something silly in the beginning, but at the end you appeared like a true african lady

NigeriaPolitricks.com said...

You look beautiful as always...tres fabuleux!

Anonymous said...

you ROCK!

Judy123 said...

This is one of the reasons why its important to build up your wardrobe with creative pieces you love and let your imagination do the talking. It should not be only about the price tag!

tokotaya said...

My kindred spirit, everytime I see u , I am inspired,right now I am blushing for you (as if black man dey blush sef)
Well for fear of being labelled gay I would have said I have a big crush on you (let dem say jo). Pls and pls allow me to make u an outfit , it would be my biggest pleasure pls let me know. you dey rock jare.

My 2 cents said...

You know anytime I come to Naija, the first thing I do is load up on ankara couture as I call it.

Please check out linanycouture blog for what I created with woodin.
I feel so confident in ankara, I go for office parties, weddings and every occasion in ankara. People around here look at you like royalty when you dress that way and carry yourself well.

I say, beauty and self acceptance is not about how we quantify what we put on our bodies but that inner peace that comes from within.
Nice one and to me no matter how much it cost, you look like a million bucks.

Style Stalker said...

Wow, I have to say you're absolutely fabulous!!! Great blog!!!

sylvia said...

whao!!! that was chasis,thanks so much 4 dt,this is the message celebrities re human,plain and simple,i see girls do all sort these days preparin to go 4 such outings,this is a crusade i want to lead sometime soon,its not how expensive what u ve on is but how u carry urself so ladies stop stooping low to acquire the designer labels ,its not worth it .

Naijadude said...

Wow! see I am left speechless.. wow, you did a great job pulling it all thru eh, its all about the esteem and the confidence. While I opened the page, I saw the first pic, my intention was no matter what body of the blog is, I will leave a comment mentioning how wonderful you dress, no matter what the dress/fabric is, then I was taken thru the dress up , step by step...wow that is impressive!

ababoypart2 said...

I enjoyed the steps in this post. Lovey story telling...

Aijay said...

Well done Funmi.
I like!

Anonymous said...

this is simply it.. i love u anytime, cos u're always ever-ready to deliver... hmmm, am coming to naija soon nd ould love to meet u( u're one of my role models). Keep it up and say hi to Moreks.

Anonymous said...

you look fab regardless and the dress, hmmm. shows that it does not take a million $$$ to look great and stylish. pls, where can i get one? for #2000, that is about $15 - $20. pple bring them here and sell them for whooping $120+. even my tailor who sews with pricing (depending on style) ranging from $90 above, sells readymade ankara for $150. can you imagine?

Schools Out...Life starts! said...

three words; "You soooooo Rock"

Caleb said...

Sorry about BobD's mom. Your quickiwe was impressive. street cred you call it? I say you rock!

Anonymous said...

u go girl!
tres chic!!

Anonymous said...

Funmi,

Go girl!!! I do love you and everything but let's be real; with a US size minus two (Do you even have a size?) you could wear a bin bag and still look uber fab!!!!

*ugh* not that I am hating or anything
:)

Anonymous said...

So i'm gonna be the hater here ... whatever! Let's not forget the small matter of the dazzling jewellery, which added more than just a bit to the overall shine. Lest any young lady be misled ... love you nonetheless.

Unknown said...

BEAUTIFUL...
U LOOK GREAT.....

Anonymous said...

WOW...u totally ROCKED that outfit and u looked like a million bucks...pls keep doing your thing jare...u absolutely ROCK!!!!

tolulope said...

creativity is the word, my prestigious lady! a well planned outfit with designer acessories and zero confidence level is definitely not a winner.
cheers

Anonymous said...

Self-acceptance? Would that include the little matter of the famous surgical enhancement?

Anonymous said...

Hello Funmi,

I love your blog and thought the step by step guide to getting "The Look" was a great way to show how creative one can get when faced with time constraints! I happen to be looking for a good tailor in Lagos and the prospect of paying N2,000 for express service is appealing to my Ijebu nature :-) Please could you post your tailor's contact details, IF you're willing to share?

Funmi Iyanda said...

@jumi, come home, come home, come home sooooon.
@ catwalq :-)
@judy123, quite right.
@tokotaya, would be a pleasure anytime.
@sylvia, thats why l did the post, worrisome it is the craze for only expensive designer stuff. Dont be defined by designer bags and dysfunctional relationships is what l say to the girls.
@anonymous, only improved infrastucture and distribution will help bring the prices down even in Nigeria, l feel for both the designers and the consumers. However getting a great tailor in Nigeria is a good idea, you can vamp you outfits up yourself when you get back to base.
@twinsmum, l bet that regardless what size you are, l can get you fabulous in 30 minutes flat.
@anonymous 2, the jewelry helps but l can find imitations of that which will be hard to tell apart for a young upcoming girl to wear. Besides l can not only afford what l wear, l have no piece of Jewelry in my possession bought for me by a man, l have earned my little indulgences.

classybabe said...

Happy Birthday Funmi.(read it from laspapi's blog).Have a good one

Anonymous said...

Can i hear someone say NAIJA IS BLESSED ?????????? So are the people in it...U looked incredible!

Anonymous said...

Thanks 4 lettin us no its not all bout wearing d most expensive ensemble dat makes u d belle of d ball.Its bout carriage,poise.We always want 2 copy hollywood but forget dat 99% of d stuff they wear r free.We need 2 hear more of this cos most young chics r ready 2 do anything 2 hav d most expensive things n its not all bout dat.Thanks 4 being a true role model

Anonymous said...

Omo Funmi, me am playing defender of d universe on one psycho's blog dedicated only to u, but am convinced u can handle anything and anyone! Im so impressed by u... & whats with d idiot on here with d surgical enhancements story? I so know who d person is so if u want me to deal with the person out of state, say d word!!!When in this world will ppl stop all d jealousy & envy??

If e no be Funmi, e no fit be like Funmi!!!! Whether surgery or no surgery, ur mind is fucking brilliant- and thats all that matters.
B.A

sylvia said...

b\4 i saw ur reply to annonymous on the piece of jewellery i was going to reply her myself,i am one of those who as a matter of principle do buy expensive jewelleries except i get them as gifts (only from my husband) but dear annonymous,i ve like 2 sets that i got from good old balogun,and there s one in particular that i got for btwn 700/900 naira ,i ve had women adorning 150,000 naira worth of jewellery on stop me to ask me where i got it from ,so girl except the young girls choose to be misled,there s something out there 4 every one

Funmi Iyanda said...

@anonymous, thanks for the defence. l do know about it and something will be done about the person, if you do know who it is, pls email us the details asap. On my part, my principle is taken from my culture, e fi igbe le fun agbepo (leave the shat to the the shat carrier). it is important that one does not loose focus and roll around in the muck with the demented. One of the most humbling thing l have experienced in blogosphere is the silent collective uninfluenced decision of bloggers to ignore this insane person recognising it for what it is. The mad, psychotic, jealous or plain evil will always be amongst us and they serve their purpose, ours is to ignore them if harmless, heal them if hurting or jail them if criminal.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

cha, na wa o!!!! i swear this post was about u looking fabulous as usual??? small time na 'leave shit for shit carrier' we dey talk. i swear blogsvile is just jokes/. LOL.

pumping! said...

Thank you Sister, you have shown us and spoken the whole truth its amazing what you can do with a little creativity though i was pretty scared when i saw the black skirt though but the result is Fantastic.

Been having issues posting comments i think i open a new account everytime i want to post. Pray this would be the last.

Nuggets of Gold said...

Interesting transformation

Unknown said...

funmi, how mush is ur charge as personal stylist? tres fab! just fab

Anonymous said...

Funmi, keep up the good job. You are one down to earth lady and a realist for that matter. I pray we have more of your kind. Guess what I got married a month ago and my wedding gown caused slightly over 65pounds on sales from monsoon. Some people felt I was been silly, but you know what the wedding was the bomb, food and drinks correct. To me I have always said I would never spend so much on a gown(wedding) cos after the whole show, man no go chop. I believe is all about knowledge/wisdom.

Diva Elegante said...

That is so fabulous!
Class is not about money...its found on the inside. You are one hell of a classy woman!
Loads of love!

goldreef said...

You are real!!!