About Me

My Photo
Funmi Iyanda
Lagos, Nigeria
Funmi Iyanda is a multi award-winning producer and broadcast journalist. She is the CEO of Ignite Media and Executive Director of Creation Television
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.
Monday, May 07, 2007

Seeing the light

Back in the days when l did the local daily 2 hour live breakfast format of the show, one of the things that kept me going was the many segment presenters I had found to work with. The totally insanely hilarious mama and papa nothing spoil, the sports whiz kids, the cuddly cook aunty Mopile, the twitchy IT guys, the mischievous Dr Ogaga. Oh the days of innocence. Goes without saying that it was a tough show to do and not very rewarding financially but our passion and resilience kept us going.

The entertainment and fashion segments had the largest turn over of presenters as the boys and gals got more and more successful in their individual careers. It was one large TV family and it is my unending joy that all who have left NEW DAWN are incredibly successful in many spheres and scattered around the world. One of them is Sade Popoola who came to me one day and quietly said she was taking her children and leaving the country back to England to refocus. I didn't argue as l could see she was at the point where stepping back to go forward was necessary. We have kept in touch on and off over the years so you can imagine my joy when Sade called me and said to me, Funmi I’m on to something, l'll mail you. When l saw what Sade was up to, l kept grinning like a fool at my silent computer even as the goose pimples rose on my arm. Yeees! l thought, Sade has found the light at the end of the tunnel and put it into stylish bags. The idea is genius in its simplicity and l keep wondering why no one else has done it before now. What do you think?

www.flickr.com





17 comments:

Mo said...

Those are really nice bags, especially the clutches. Pure Genius!!!

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

These bags r indeed stylish, i say well done to Sade!!!!!

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

oh my God, u see what impatience does to you!!!!! i didnt quite realise the idea behind d bags o (sorry i guess dat was my jessica moment) i just saw d fabric and thought nice, didnt notice d lighting effect at first, thats fabulous, so i suppose no more trying to loo for dat missing chewing gum stick, or car keys or whatever in d dark sweaty la casa!!! ( i know i had to use lacasa cos i know u go there a lot) lol!!!!

Jumi said...

Hey, that's so cute! I'm happy for Sade and I wish her success all the way. She should be looking to enter the North American market with those bags. Really stylish and colourful. Oh, by the way, Funmistic, thanx so much.

Anonymous said...

WOWWWWW.....dat's a big WOW. Stylish bags made of damasks. Dat's bunz. Abeg, where r they available o?

Anonymous said...

Like a lot.

Anonymous said...

Well,Funmi,i remembered those happy times and i need to let you know, that was the best time i had so much Fun with you on new dawn on ten.I was still in Med. school then and i wouldnt do anything or go to class until i finish watching your programme which starts around 7-7.30.Remembered papa and mama nothing spoil,aunty mope cooking tips,susan eyo's fashion talk etc.New dawn has grown but the fun then can never be compared to now.Keep the good work,Love!

Funmi Iyanda said...

@ all, look inside the bags people, thats where the light is :-)

@36, do you lacas 2? if yes which group do you belong to, d poseurs, d wanabes or d mad dancers?

@jumoke giwa, if you could help her in North America pls email her. As you know this is not all altristic for l fully intend to come and be holidaying in your fabulous homes around the world when all you gals make it as l know you all will. Big hug.

@bukky, se we didnt make you fail med sch sha? You are right gal, l also miss the way we were but growth must come and the censors and lack of sponsorship would not let us remain like that. One day l will be powerful enough to do exactly the kind of show l want to do, one day.

36 INCHES OF BROWN LEGS said...

im usually one of the mad dancers o!!!!! but then, i will pose for like an hour first sha!!! u know how we r in lagos now!!

bolaji said...

Sade's bags are great from Damask(she put it in good use.)Absolutely loved the days of new dawn on 10 (that was when i met you) but new dawn with funmi is Fantastic.
Keep up the good work.

Bella Naija said...

Wow!
I am well and truly blown-away! Truly outstanding.....
LOL....I remember the early days of your show! the marathon sessions with Papa and Mama nothing spoil, the phone-ins, the hair segment with Bobby, the fashion segments, Dr Agaga....etc...Loved it but I can imagine the stress that producing it!
Brings back so many memories!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear,these words of encouragement are AMAZING!I am totally flattered that people love my bags,taking time out to even put it in words!!!i beg!!i BOW o!!!!thank you 3much!!!

sade popoola

BOBBY said...

I am loving the bags.

BOBBY said...

I guess i also had a blonde moment. 36 inches dont feel bad...

I am impressed with the bags...very good idea there. I love it when folks are original with things...

Oh my!

aloted said...

Spectacular! Am impressed. Really cool concept! Good work Sade :)

Mimi said...

Wow those bags are Tres Fab! Especially the lovely clutches.

Funmi Iyanda said...

@ 36, if any mad dancer at lacasa find me staring too closely, dont shoot l'm not a lesbian, just trying to guess which one is the 36 inches of gorgeous brown legs.

@ Bella, you bin around here that long gal?